Ask Questions, Seek Answers
How can trash fuel our world?
How can teens be empowered to reject extremism?
How can tissue engineering transform the way drugs are designed?
How can taking your pen off the paper let you draw things exactly as you imagine?
How can training new doctors and nurses in resource-limited countries cure more than people?
At TEDxBoston 2013, where x = independently organized TED event, we honored local innovators who ask tough questions and have the passion, curiosity, and tenacity to find answers- a fantastic journey with Boston’s brightest thinkers and boldest doers.
Happy 5th Anniversary TEDxBoston!
TEDxBoston launched in 2009, and since then the talks have been viewed over 9 million times worldwide. We’re proud and humbled that such amazing people have gathered every year in the audience and on stage to share ideas worth spreading, and our fifth anniversary truly celebrated our city’s ingenuity.
The Seaport World Trade Center
TEDxBoston was in two venues at the Seaport World Trade Center; the Amphitheater main stage and the Living Room simulcast, a collaborative social space designed by Turnstone.
Listening on WBUR
WBUR 90.9 FM, Boston’s NPR News Station broadcasted a session of TEDxBoston live, followed by a special on-site production of Radio Boston with hosts Meghna Chakrabarti and Anthony Brooks.
Immersed as an avatar in the TEDxBoston Global Online Auditorium
Avatars were created in Avaya Live Engage and the talks were live streamed into an immersive virtual environment with 3D audio- allowing participants to have natural conversations with hundreds of attendees from around the world.
On the web
TEDxBoston was streamed live on the home page of our website. Over the past five years, thousands of people have joined us from 38 countries to watch a webcast of the talks and performances.
We encouraged you to invite family, friends, and coworkers to watch as a group to spark conversation and connections among the people you care about. If you are interested in opening it up to your community and hosting a public meetup please Contact Us to let us know and to get more information.
|12:00 Noon:||Check-in and mingle|
||Session 1 begins|
|2:45 pm:||45 minute break|
|3:30 pm:||Session 2 begins|
|5:30 – 7:00 pm:||Reception|
- Sam Aquillano: Pop Up Designer
- Debo Band: International Funk
- Nikita Bier: Election Day Game Changer
- Daniel Clarke, Josh Trautwein: Food Desert Destroyers
- Peter Dilworth: 3D Maker
- Matthew DuPlessie: Set Design Wizard
- Eliot Fisk: Classical Guitar Innovator
- Dr. Helen Greiner: Re-Imaginer of Robots
- Geraldine Hamilton, Ph.D.: Cell Architect
- Brian Healy: Waterfront Architect
- Vanessa Kerry: Global Healthcare Revolutionary
- Nataly Kogan: Sharer of Joy
- Farah Pandith: Viral Peacemaker
- Steve Ramirez, Xu Liu, Ph.D.: Brain Inceptors
- Paul Sellew: Compost King
- Sam White: Co-Founder of Cool
- Xiao Xiao: Virtual Pianist
- Sean Belka, Senior Vice President, Fidelity Investments
- Danielle Duplin, Vice President, Fidelity Investments
- Jimmy Guterman, Editorial Director, Collective Next, LLC
- Lori Keenan, Program Director, Fidelity Investments
- Matt Saiia, Founder and CEO, Collective Next, LLC
- Christine Buford, Program Manager, Fidelity Investments
- Jane Lim, Project Manager, Fidelity Investments
- Peter Moll, Vice President, Fidelity Investments
- Stephanie Murphy, Director of Events & Broadcasting, Fidelity Investments
- Kelly Nealon, Project Manager, Collective Next, LLC
- Wilfredo Pena, Project Manager, Fidelity Investments
Partners and Support
2013 Grand Opening Video
International Funk: Debo Band at TEDxBoston, 2013
produced by: Jimmy Guterman
Ethiopian-American saxophonist and musicologist Danny Mekonnen is the founder and director of Debo Band, a collective of musicians who compose and work to reinvent the popular music of Ethiopia.